Saturday, December 13, 2008

Meredith's Birthday

Yesterday was Meredith’s birthday.



Here she is enjoying her birthday breakfast. All she wanted was toast with peanut butter and bananas. That girl loves her peanut butter!!!

She is now 11. ~Sigh~ Where did the time go? I can still remember so vividly the day she was born.

It was a blustery night and I was past my due date. I had had an ultrasound that showed I wasn’t producing sufficient amniotic fluid and needed to be induced. We went to the hospital around noon and my ob/gyn put some prostaglandin gel on my cervix and sent me home. I think the gel was applied around 3 in the afternoon. By 5 I had a bit of a nagging back ache but nothing serious. I went to bed around 10 as usual but just couldn’t get comfortable enough to fall asleep. At 11, I got up to use the bathroom and there was a bit of blood. Being my first baby, I freaked out and we immediately went to the hospital. I was only 2 or 3 cm dilated but luckily, it was a slow night, so they let me stay. I spent a little time in the hot tub and moved to my birthing suit. From that point, things progressed rather rapidly. More rapidly than even the nurses expected. They really didn’t pay much attention to me and when they finally came in around 4 am and checked on me I was fully dilated! I think I pushed for around an hour and out came my beautiful Meredith. It was nothing like I expected yet so much better.

Now here she is an 11 year old girl, almost as tall as me, with a wicked witty sense of humour. She loves to read, draw and cook. She’s always willing to lend a hand and help out if needed. She is truly one of my favourite people to be around.

Happy Birthday, Meredith.

No comments: